Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Headboard Lessons

I recently found this beauty on the KSL classifieds. I knew right away that despite her cracked wood, gold spray paint and faded fuschia fabric she had potential!


With Scott's help (Ok, all Scott and a little help from me) we transformed her!

prepped, primed, and painted

glazing and distressing

Ta Da!

Scott put so much work into making this beautiful! We have a habit of personifying objects and Scott really cheered for the abused headboard! He lovingly reinforced the flimsy frame, sanded and smoothed the edges, and painstakingly upholstered the intricate design. I just got to show up for the fun parts of picking out fabric, painting and glazing, and now enjoying the finished product!

This was our first attempt at doing a project together and we learned a lot! First, we have big ideas and rarely do we stop to think about what we are getting into and how much work is involved. Where Scott is happy figuring things out on his way, I like to have a plan. Scott is willing to take his time with the details while I am anxious to just get it done! Scott is brilliant when it comes to math, physics, and structural construction. My gifts come in the form of beautification and the subtle nuances of artistry.

There were times during this project that we both got really frustrated with each other. Usually we communicate really well but for some reason this tested us! We both had an idea of what we wanted the end result to be, but very different means of making it happen. We wanted it to be a "together" activity but I found myself thinking that it would be easier to just do it myself. The simple reality is that there is no way I could have done it myself and had it turn out so beautifully. I needed Scott and his gifts. I needed his insight, his attention to detail, his patience and perseverance. And herein lies the life lesson--I cant do it alone. I dont want to do it alone. My way is not the only way. Sometimes its the process and experience that have the most to teach us, not the end result. Im grateful for a husband that already understands this. He sees my potential beneath layers of paint, years of wear, and rough edges. He is willing to patiently work with me as I struggle to be my best. I think thats what they call love.

3 comments:

bill said...

beautiful. do NOT buy a fiberglass "kit car."

love from dad

The Browns said...

Amen to your post!

bill said...

Job well done...both of you!
Love and care for each other. That's what it is all about. Can't wait to see this LIVE.
Love, Mom P. :))