Saturday, November 28, 2009

Words of Wisdom

While Scott has been in school and working nights, I have found all kinds of little ways to keep myself occupied in his absence. I read, write in my journal, watch the latest episodes of Glee and House, bake, and spend too many hours on Facebook. Tonight I was updating my book list on Goodreads.com and decided it might be fun to share quotes instead of just a basic review from some of my favorite books. I pulled a stack of books from the shelf and began thumbing through them looking for highlighted passages and folded page corners.

Some of the highlights were meaningful principles taught to me in a story. Others were great statements and revelations that seemed to jump from the page. And still others were simple, gentle reminders of Gospel truths I have seemingly always known. I was so humbled as I flipped through the stack of books. Had I really read all of these? And had I learned all the truths which they contained? Obviously their contents had made an impression on me at one time or another, so how had I forgotten them so easily?

Upon finishing each book I stack it with the rest of my collection and move on to the next. As I think about all that I have learned (in this case from books) over my lifetime, how everything has shaped who I am and how I understand myself and the world and the eternities, I cannot help but feel incredibly small and ignorant. I could spend hours each day studying and reading all the books I can find for the rest of my life, and barely take in a fraction of all there is to know! And then of course as I learn more, the books I read 10 years ago take on a whole new meaning if read today! I want to go through and re-read all my favorite books! I want to know what truths are hiding in all those books I havent read!

Time to set some new goals:
1. Read at least one book each month.
2. If something makes an impression on me while reading, capture it by writing in my journal, not just highlighting the text.
3. Stop wasting so much time on facebook

3 comments:

chadandsydney said...

Facebook is not a waste!

Bethany said...

I need to set an anti-Facebook goal as well...

Josh and Anna said...

Awesome goals! I need to try to read more. My husband works nights too, maybe I should try to read instead of endless nights of TV. {Except for Glee, can't live without that one}Very inspiring Em.